NCS AP Academy
Since 1971, Northside Christian School has sought academic excellence with a foundation in the Christian philosophy of education. The NCS AP (Advanced Placement) Academy is a four-year program designed to meet the needs of the academically talented high school student. While some students may do very well in math and sciences, another may do well in English and history. However, students in the NCS AP Academy are outstanding in all subject areas. The program is very challenging as it combines all upper level and advanced courses into a single, mandatory curriculum. Because development of the whole person is an important component, participation in extra-curricular activities is encouraged. Above all, the program includes the NCS advantage: a strong academic curriculum with biblical integration. Students must be highly motivated with a commitment to the four-year program. Parents should be aware of the higher expectations placed upon the student. The challenge is great but the advantages will last a lifetime.
- IQ of 120 or more as determined by official testing (Inview CSI [Cognitive Skills Index] score is accepted)
- Achievement scores at or above the 90th percentile or achievement test stanines of 8 or 9 in all core academic areas
- Completion of Algebra I by the end of 8th grade
- Yearly or semester grades of 3.5 or higher in core academic courses for two consecutive years (7th and 8th grade)
- High recommendations by three core academic teachers (English, Math, Science or Social Studies)
- Personal qualities of leadership potential, spirituality and good character (evidenced in teacher recommendations and discipline record)
*Enrollment in the program is limited and is open only to incoming freshmen. A selection committee of High School Faculty and School Administrators will make all admission decisions.
Advantages of the NCS AP Academy Program:
- The opportunity to take AP courses not offered in our standard curriculum thereby increasing the course rigor of the high school transcript
- The benefit of a facilitator to assist in the organization and enrichment of the AP courses
- Instruction in college preparatory tests
- Development of public speaking skills
- Receipt of a weighted GPA for each year of AP Academy instruction
- The distinction of AP Academy Scholar
Requirements of the NCS AP Academy Program:
Participants in the program are expected to maintain the highest standards of respectful behavior, integrity, diligent academic effort and leadership within the school community. The High School Faculty Facilitator evaluates every AP Academy student at the end of each year to determine whether (s)he is maintaining these standards and whether (s)he may remain in the program. Only the very best can complete the four-year program to earn the distinction of “AP Academy Scholar.”
AP Academy students pursue a very rigorous course of study including four credits of Bible, English, Math, Science, World Language, Social Science, and Academy Seminar, along with various electives, for a total of 32 academic credits. Each AP Academy student must complete a minimum of eight AP classes in order to graduate from the program.
In addition to the general requirements above, specific program criteria include:
- Completion of eight AP classes (3 of which must be based in the NCS AP Academy Program)
- Recommendation for and completion of the highest level offered in each academic core course
- Completion through level IV instruction in the same world language
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA average in each quarter of the entire high school career
- Must never earn a "D" or "F" for the semester grade in any course and must never earn more than two "C"'s for a semester grade on the high school transcript
- Must receive an average rating of 7.0 on a 10.0 point scale as rated by the student's teachers in all areas including positive leadership, behavior, and suitability as a role model
- Payment of a yearly fee of $175. The fee includes program enrichment activities such as yearly outside of school group activities, a test preparation consultant (part of the program cycle) and graduation regalia.
The NCS AP Academy application for the 2021-22 school year will open for existing students on February 1 and close on March 12. The application deadline for students who are new to NCS in the 2021-22 school year is June 15, 2021.
A complete application for the NCS AP Academy consists of:
- Completion of the NCS AP Academy Program Contract signed by both parent and applicant
(Download Contract Here)
- A completed Teacher Recommendation Form from each 8th-grade core course teacher (English, Math, Science or Social Studies) given directly to the Academic office.
(Download Recommendation Form Here)
- Provision of a copy of test scores indicating qualifying achievement scores and IQ.
- Submission of an original, hand-written essay of an assigned prompt. Essay must be completed at NCS by appointment with the Academic Coordinator.
The Admissions Committee will review your application and notify you of the committee's decision via letter.