Northside Christian High School has chosen Google's G-Suite for Education for its student email and calendar platform.
Q: What is Google's G-Suite for Education?
- Google's G-Suite for Education is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on their own servers. Google provides these applications as a "service," rather than as software to download and install. To access these applications, you simply use a web browser on a computer that's connected to the Internet.
- NCS Google's G-Suite for Education is an integrated communication and collaboration solution, hosted by Google and managed by NCS. GAE will provide the ability for NCS students (beginning with 9th graders in the 2013-14 academic year), faculty and staff to communicate, store files and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations in real time from school, work, or home, all within a secure “closed campus” online environment.
- Google's G-Suite for Education offers up to unlimited Google Drive storage per user, powerful spam filtering and a 99.9% uptime SLA. All hosted by Google - there’s no cost, and no ads for students, faculty or staff.
Q: Why did we choose Google's G-Suite for Education?
A: We looked for an email and calendar solution that could provide with us the following benefits:
- Lower infrastructure costs -- All email will be stored securely on Google's servers, eliminating the need for costly storage array upgrades to our on-site servers.
- Innovative solutions -- We can leverage the ongoing creative and technical solutions of the Google Apps platform to provide employees with powerful, easy-to-use tools for getting their work done
- Highly scalable environment -- With Google Apps, our email capacity will grow automatically as our school grows, and we'll avoid the complexity of internal systems
- Access to services from anywhere, anytime -- A key benefit of the Google-hosted solution is that students can access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection, anywhere in the world
Q: What exactly does Google's G-Suite for Education include?
A: Your new Google's G-Suite for Education account will include the following services:
Drive & Docs
Here are some of the key benefits we think you'll enjoy:
How will it be used?
- Lots of storage -- You getumlimited online storage for your email so you can archive all of your email online. Students will not need to worry about deleting messages or saving them in offline folders.
- Enhanced message organization and retrieval -- With Gmail, you'll spend less time managing folders and looking for messages. For example, you can add one or more tags, or "labels," to your messages to organize and store them more efficiently. And with the Google-powered search feature, you can find any message quickly and easily, whether it's in your Inbox or stored in your message archive.
- File storage and sharing: With Google Drive, you can store just about any type of file, open them right in your web browser, and share them with others.
- Real-time collaboration -- Using Google Docs, you can create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, and you and your team members can view and edit them at the same time. You can still use Microsoft Office products as needed, but now you'll have more options for storing and collaborating on your documents.
Costs and Fees: How much is NCS paying for this?
- Google's G-Suite for Education will provide the ability for students and teachers to store files and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations in real time from school or home within a “closed campus” online environment. The use of these tools is optional, and intended to provide an approved and supportable alternative to “consumer” Google accounts.
- Students will have easy access to their documents, spreadsheets, and presentations within Google Docs. In addition, students will have additional storage for other files they may need to use between home and school. As the use of NCS Google's G-Suite for Education continues, there may be other features that are added.
How will my child access NCS Google's G-Suite for Education?
- Google's G-Suite for Education is free to NCS.
Will my child be required to access GAE at home?
- Students will be given their Google's G-Suite for Education account information prior to the start of school. It is highly recommended that parents keep a copy for future reference. Once the student has their account information, there are a variety of ways to log in:
- Log in to http://www.google.com/a/ncsschools.com.
- Go to http://www.google.com and log in using his or her full GAE mail address (email@example.com) and password.
- Teachers may choose to provide a link from within MyNCS; however your child will always need to enter his or her GAE username and password to successfully log in to NCS Google's G-Suite for Education.
- Learn more about supported web browsers at http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33864.
My child already has a Gmail account, why can't they use that one?
- Since GAE is accessible from any device with access the Internet, your child does have the opportunity to log in to his or her NCS Google Apps account from home to access their information or work on their documents, and collaborate on shared documents with other students and/or their teacher.
- NCS Google Apps Mail is one of the many applications offered in Google's G-Suite for Education. Regular Gmail accounts do not have access to the school's collaborative features.
Can parents use it?
Can I see what my child is doing on Google Apps?
- Currently only NCS employees and students can access the school's G-Suite for Education.
- Will there be a Parent View account? No there is not a Parent View account. Parents are encouraged to explore Google Apps with their children by logging in together.
What about Privacy?
Who has access to my child’s account?
- The Google Apps Terms of Service agreement with NCS contractually ensures that our institution (students, faculty, and staff) are the sole owners of their data. Google will only access content stored on Apps when an administrator from NCS grants Google explicit permission to do so. One example would be to investigate inappropriate use.
Does my child retain copyright of their creations?
- The same copyright rules apply to content in GAE that would apply to any other creation, provided the student is the sole owner.
What protection will NCS provide so that my child is not accessing inappropriate content on the web?
- On the NCS campus, filtered Internet is provided.
- There are no advertisements used with Google's G-Suite for Education. G-Suite is an online collaboration tool that is accessed using a web browser and requires a login and password.
- Because no filtering solution is 100% effective, parents and students are ultimately responsible for their Internet usage. Students should know both the school's policy for Internet usage and their parents' expectations for accessing content on the Internet.
What apps are available and how can I expect my child’s teacher to use them?
- Google's G-Suite for Education will provide students with secure and easy online access to documents, spreadsheet, presentation and communication tools that can be accessed easily from home or school and enhance teacher and student collaboration in the classroom and beyond.
- Teachers can use Google Docs to facilitate group projects and use the history tool to see the level of participation of each student in a group. Teachers will be able to give feedback to students directly in documents shared with a teacher. Turning in assignments will be as easy as sharing the file in Google Docs with the teacher, or by emailing it to the teacher through the student’s NCS G-Mail account.
What if another student deletes their work?
- The owner is the only person who can delete a document. Once a document is deleted, no one can access it, including those with whom it was shared.
How will Google Apps reflect in their grade?
- The use of Google's G-Suite for Education will not in itself impact grades. Teachers will communicate with their students regarding individual class requirements.
Why is Google necessary for the students; can’t the teachers just answer the students’ questions?
- The use of Google's G-Suite for Education is another tool NCS provides to help students and teachers communicate, collaborate, apply critical thinking skills, and work creativity. Teachers will continue to answer students’ questions in the classroom. Google's G-Suite for Education provide students an additional opportunity to ask a teacher question electronically, helping students learn to communication in a real world environment.
Why is the school doing this?
- "Digital Citizenship” and “21st Century Skills” are concepts which help teachers, technology leaders and parents to understand what students/children/technology users should know to use technology appropriately. Digital Citizenship and 21st Century Skills are more than just a teaching tool; using these tools can be a way to prepare students/technology users for a society full of technology. Too often we are seeing students as well as adults misusing and abusing technology but not sure what to do. The issue is more than what the users do not know but what is considered appropriate technology usage.”
What is the value of Google's G-Suite for Education?
- Classroom collaboration, students and teachers can open and edit their documents quickly. No more distractions like USB keys, outdated file attachments, or confusing client software. Anytime, anywhere access Google Docs lets users be productive at school, at home, and even on their mobile phones. Because Google Docs runs in a web browser, students can work from almost any family computer without having to purchase new software. Easily upload and share files Google Docs works on PC, Mac, and Linux computers, and supports popular formats such as .doc, .xls, .ppt, and .pdf. Files stored on Google Docs are always accessible and backed-up online. Smarter commenting, better feedback Google Docs' intuitive commenting feature is ideal for instructor and collaborator feedback. Revision history allows users to review document edits over time.