Homecoming Week: October 14 - 19, 2019
Homecoming 2019 will be here soon, with festivities and events taking place from October 14-19. Please read through the information below to see what is planned and how you may be able to encourage your student in his/her participation. It is a fun week, filled with memories, activities, friendship-building, and lots of school spirit!
Homecoming week activities begin Sunday, October 13. From 1:00-5:00 pm, the students will meet at school to paint/decorate their hallways (only students are allowed to work on this project).
Designs may be drawn ahead of time, but all work on the actual hallways must be accomplished on Sunday.
Classes will be given a small stipend for materials for their hallway.
Also, students can practice for boys’ cheerleading and girls’ powder puff football on Sunday.
High School Dress-up DaysMonday- Spirit Day (Red, White, Blue)
Tuesday- The Greatest Show (Circus Theme)
Wednesday- Meme Day
Thursday- Decade Day
Friday- Class Competition Day (Class Shirt Day)
If your child chooses not to dress up on any of the days, he/she must be in regular NCS dress code which includes Northside polo. On Friday students will wear their homecoming class T-shirts. Girls are not allowed to wear shorts as part of their costume unless the shorts have a 5” inseam or they have spandex underneath that reaches mid-thigh. If wearing spandex, they must change back into NCS dress code before attending class. Please make sure they pack extra clothes in case their costume is considered too short or immodest so that they will be able to change.
Homecoming Food and Offering Collection
During the week, we will be collecting items for Northside Baptist Church’s Food Pantry as well as items needed for a Thanksgiving dinner for needy families in our area. All money collected during the week will be used to purchase turkeys and perishable food for Thanksgiving meals.
Here are the items we are collecting:
Monday – Pasta and spaghetti/alfredo sauce, Boxed Stuffing, canned soups
Tuesday – Canned meat (tuna, chicken, spam, etc.) and beans (baked, pinto, kidney), Vienna Sausages (little pop open cans)
Wednesday – Canned fruits, cranberry sauce, canned vegetables (mainly corn and green beans)
Thursday – Canned gravy, boxes of mashed potatoes, dried beans
No food or money will be collected on Friday.
Friday Morning Pep Rally & Class Competitions
Friday morning from 8:15am - Noon the classes will be competing against each other in various activities (relays and powder puff football for the girls, volleyball and cheerleading for the boys, spirit cheers, pep rally and more).
Don’t forget. . . FRIDAY, October 18, is a HALF DAY!
Students will be dismissed at 12:10 p.m. and there will be no after-care that afternoon.
Please be sure to come out to the Homecoming Game on Friday evening. The activities begin at 6:15 pm with the introduction of our homecoming court. The game begins at 7:00pm.
Homecoming Dance (October 19 at 7:30pm)
- Homecoming Dance tickets go on sale October 1-16 for $15.
- Any invited guest attending the dinner/dance who is not a Northside student must download the Special Event Guest Registration Form on the website or pick up the form in the high school office. A ticket cannot be purchased until that form has been returned with all the appropriate signatures.
*Dress code for the Homecoming Dance: Please see the specific information below. Our goal is for students to dress appropriately and modestly for this event. Unfortunately, if a student is not in dress code, he/she will be turned away at the door and will not be reimbursed for the ticket. Please help us with this policy adherence so we can all enjoy a fun and festive evening.
Ladies: Any gown or other formal wear must be modest. If your daughter has a dress in question, we would be happy to approve it for her. Have them bring in the dress and try it on for Mrs. Sharon Smith or Mrs. Lolly Smith. If you are shopping and there is any question about what you are purchasing, please feel free to text the picture to: Sharon Smith (727-744-5325) or Lolly Smith (727-415-9995).
NOTE: All Freshman girls must have their dresses pre-approved by Mrs. L. Smith or Ms. S. Smith in person at school, no exceptions.
- Girls will wear a mid-calf length gown or longer or dress slacks with an appropriate dressy top.
- The midriff area may not be exposed. This includes both front and side. With arms down at your side, if flesh touches flesh in the midriff section, the dress is inappropriate. If the dress has a cutout in the midriff section there must be non-nude colored mesh to cover the skin. This mesh must be sewn in permanently.
- Any slits in the dress should not extend more than 2” above the top of the knee.
- A strapless dress is acceptable, but since ladies will be dancing, it is strongly recommended that they wear a minimum of spaghetti straps for support.
- Dresses may not be cut below the bust line. The bust continues around your sides directly under the armpit. With arms down at your side, if flesh touches flesh below the bust line, the dress is inappropriate.
- The top portion of an outfit should not show cleavage and there should not be a cut-in near the cleavage area. Alterations must be made to bring dress into compliance before the dance. It is advised that any altered dresses be brought to either Mrs. Sharon Smith or Mrs. Lolly Smith for approval.
- Dresses that have a lower cut in the back of the dress may not extend below the waist.
- Dresses may be backless as long as they are not cut below the naval.
- No low necklines.
Men: Dress slacks may be worn with appropriate shoes. Dress slacks do not include blue jeans or pants with any holes, frayed at the bottom, worn, or large cargo/big pocket/zipper-type pants, etc. Sandals are not allowed. Earrings are not appropriate and must be taken out. Baseball caps are not permitted, but hats (i.e. top hats, fedora, derby, etc.) are permitted as long as it accessorizes your attire.
We are looking forward to a great Homecoming Week!